Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Server Update

I have made great progress over the last couple of days. I've worked my way through a host of self inflected problems and a significant number of security related issues. I've made more progress in the last two days than in the three previous weeks.

Every required software module is now installed and more importantly working! The next set of tasks is to restore my old posts in a real publishing environment rather than the fake one that anyone who has tried to visit my only site may have encountered. Some of those old posts may look OK but they cannot be changed, commented upon or added to. And of course, there's no home page. I'm working to fix all that on a development site on my new server that I can see even if you can't. There will be times over the next couple of days that my old site, such as it is, will be down for any where from a few minutes to an hour or two. I'll try to keep things as alive as I can. Also, blogging may be even slower than it has been over the last couple of weeks. Of course, if the world ends, I will have something to say about it.

My new goal (and I think it is doable) is to have the new server with the old site's look and feel (and content) ready to go live over the weekend. There are still tons of details but they are only details or at least I think they are. It's amazing how many different little things I used on the old site. For example, a Perl script drove the random Mark Twain quotes from a list of quotes in a text file and my random post feature used a special plug-in. And then there's the matter of the blog roll. Well, you get the idea. But having a stable, working, publishing platform is a great start. I just wish I had had it two or three weeks ago.


Post a Comment

<< Home